Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Giants Go Ahead and Pack it in for the Season

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 29: Tim Lincecum #55 of the San Francisco Giants gives the ball to manager Bruce Bochy #16 against the Chicago Cubs in the seventh inning during an MLB baseball game at AT&T Park August 29, 2011 in San Francisco, California. ...
Shed a tear for this beautiful man.

About 30 minutes before game time last night, I suddenly realized, "Oh yeah, I need to do a write-up about Monday's game." Then it dawned on me that I'd have to write about Tim Lincecum having perhaps the worst start of his career while the Giants were two-hit by a less-than-replacement pitcher with an ERA of over 6.00. So I went back to whatever I was doing instead (nothing).

Last night, the Giants unloaded the big guns for two entire runs. Sadly, the Cubs scored five. The Giants actually had ten hits, but on three (THREE!) separate occasions, Carlos Beltran stranded them to end the inning. Carlos Beltran doesn't want to be on this team, and that kind of hurts, but you can't really blame him. He thought he was going to the playoffs. Shame about that.

The Diamondbacks are six games in first place, and have a three game series with the Giants this weekend. It's not quite the end of the road for the Giants just yet, but it likely will be come Monday. Sometime between Saturday night and the beginning of the game yesterday, I resigned myself to acknowledging that the Giants aren't going to make the playoffs, and that it's been one hell of a season, and that I still love these guys and stranger things have happened, and that 2012 can only get better by default. It helped last night's game go down a lot smoother. I'll still be watching, cheering, recapping, tweeting, and grumbling about things, but the sense of "WE CAN DO THIS" is winding down. They can't do this, actually. Not these guys. The Diamondbacks are unstoppable, or at least they're unstoppable until the first round of playoffs, when they get unscrupulously manhandled by the Braves, Brewers, or Phillies.

Next year, fellas. Next year.

5 comments:

  1. Apparently the first time Lincecum has EVER allowed three home runs in a game. This guy, man; this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun Baseball Mogul/OOTP/The Show project: get the 2011 Giants like one decent bat and see if that's enough. My theory: that would totally be enough.

    My apologies if this is too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with that is one bat would be enough IF the rest of the Giants were merely playing up to their ability and/or replacement-level equivalent. They're...they're not.

    For the record, I have a 2011 Giants team in 9 Innings Baseball and my lineup goes thus:

    CF Torres
    2B Cano
    SS Tulowitzki
    1B Huff
    LF Ross
    C Posey
    3B Sandoval
    RF Schierholtz

    Rotation is Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, Lee, Carpenter. That team...is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol you still have aubrey huff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only because I got a "Hero" version of him in the game. He hit over 20 homers for me in the cleanup slot. Art =/= Life in any way

    ReplyDelete