Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Basically Everything Possible Goes Wrong, Giants Lose 5-2

Arizona Diamondbacks' Chris Young (24) is congratulated by teammates including Sean Burroughs, left, after Young scored against the San Francisco Giants during the sixth inning of a baseball game Monday, Aug. 1, 2011, in San Francisco.
Your 2011 NL West Champs.

Matt Cain gets squeezed. The Giants hit everything hard, but they all find gloves. The Diamondbacks hit nothing hard, and they all find holes. Beltran grounds into an inning-ending double play when he represents the tying run. Now he is truly a Giant.

No offense, no offense, no offense. I look at the Diamondbacks and I see a team that refuses to quit and mashes the ball and presses, presses, presses. I look at the Giants and I see a discarded husk of a team that can't muster the strength to win.

It is the second-worst thing in the world for your team to suffer one bad inning and think, "They need five runs? There's literally no way in hell they can score five runs to win this." It is the actual worst thing in the world to be right.

The Giants will get swept and relinquish the NL West lead. They will not make the playoffs. This is the beginning of the end. I hope I am wrong, but I see no indication that is the case. Prove me wrong, Giants. I am begging you.

No comments:

Post a Comment