Friday, April 8, 2011

Athletics 2, Blue Jays 1: Everybody has to be nicer to Ricky Romero



It would be really nice if the Blue Jays could win every time Ricky Romero allows only one run on four hits through seven-and-a-third, but apparently this is not going to be possible. With the Blue Jays ahead 1-0, Andy LaRoche doubled to open the Oakland eighth, and it was like, well, shit. But when Pennington put down the bunt, Romero fielded the ball and totally had a play at third, but hesitated and went instead to first. I was listening on the radio, so I'm taking Alan Ashby's word for it, but Ashby said you could see a look of "I am doing it wrong" on Romero's face as he threw to first. That did it for Romero, and Frasor -- who I have always wanted to be better than he is, and not in a way where I am angry or anything but instead in a spirit of fellow feeling -- came in and actually struck out Coco Crisp! Awesome, right? Except J. P. Arencibia couldn't get a handle on the swinging strike-three pitch in the dirt, which allowed LaRoche to come in and Crisp to reach base. But then Frasor struck out Barton! Awesome, right? Nope: Crisp stole second and third during the at-bat. Jackson singled him home, then some other garbage happened, too, and it's a 2-1 final.


Ah well.  Another really, really good outing by Romero, at least. Also, aren't getaway days great? Especially this time of year, because you get all sorts of school groups showing up for the 12:37 PM start. Neat.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that Billy Beane didn't disband the team after they had the gall to smallball their way to victory.

    A STOLEN BASE??? COCO, THIS ISN'T 1896 WE PLAY STATION TO STATION AROUND HERE PAL SOMEONE GET ME SCOTT HATTEBERG ON THE PHONE I NEED A NEW CENTER FIELDER I KNOW HE'S NEVER PLAYED THERE BEFORE BUT THERE'S A MOTHERFUCKER WHO CAN DRAW A WALK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That the dude from Parks and Rec has been cast in the role of Scott Hatteburg absolutely assures that I will see the Moneyball movie, a movie I assure you that you can rest assured that I would with all sureness surely have seen anyway (surely).

    ReplyDelete