Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 6: Joined in Progress

Bautista knocks in the go-ahead run. (Pictured in background: haters.)
I tuned in late, and so I missed Brett Cecil allowing only two hits over six innings (but both for home runs -- whoops!). I also missed the Blue Jays scratching their way back into it on Corey Patterson's two-run triple in the fifth and Travis Snider's RBI-double in the sixth. But I checked in just in time to catch Red Sox reliever Bobby Jenks get charged with four runs in a third of an inning's work, which was pleasant enough. The Blue Jays stole three bases in the inning, including a Bautista/Lind double steal that made the heart soar. It was nice to see the Jays' newfound aggressiveness on the basepaths pay off, because it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing on that front so far. I am all for running all over the place if you can do it at a rate that is a net benefit in accordance with the sabermetric principles I hold dear and cherish like a baby squirrel I have found and nurtured to a spirited adolescence after overcoming the initial shock of having found it in the first place and then secondarily not having any idea what to do.  (I have in fact never found a baby squirrel; that was all metaphor -- thank you for flying the viewless wings of poesy; please return your mind to its previously unblown position.) This is all to say, if the Blue Jays can run without running into too many outs, this is going to be great. But if they can't, I will feel aggrieved that they ever tried.


Jason Frasor had a nice inning of relief, which was unfortunately followed by the worst Rzepcynski outing of this young season: three runs in two thirds of an inning. Not cool. But Janssen got out of eighth and Jon Rauch did a great job getting the top of the order in the bottom of the ninth. Good stuff! 


Can I just say in closing, though: JUST PITCH ALREADY PAPELBON JESUS CHRIST COME ON. I know I'm not the first person who has noticed that he works a little bit slower than most. But just pitch already, Papelbon. Jesus Christ.  Come on.  


KS

2 comments:

  1. I adopted a baby squirrel. Once. It ended up growing up to be a junkie who resented me but I blame that on the influence of some bad friends he fell in with once he left home. Still, it's a pain in the ass whenever I have to chase him with a broom when I catch him breaking into my place and trying to steal my silverware to sell for crack money. Goddammit, Kendall, I just love the little guy so much why won't he accept that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important thing is not to blame yourself.

    ReplyDelete