Monday, April 25, 2011

Nationals 10-10, 2/16th of our way to Mighty Decent

(JFK got involved with a bat 4 Horsemen style in the Racing of the Presidents the other week)

Nats have now played 20 games, and pitter-pattered their way thru a weekend series against the Pirates. Jayson Werth has sucked thus far and most of the commentary has been, "He always tweaks things, he's adjusting, he's a hard worker, etc etc." This makes me think UH OH, considering the Washington Redskins/Wizards historic tradition of high-priced free agents. Of course we knew that UH OH would eventually come on his 19-year contract, but I guess I wanted 2 or 3 years of glory to usher in the drug-addled reign of The Ultimate Harper.
Anyways, Jordan Zimmermann has been pleasantly nice, pitching has really saved this team thus far, as I think only six of their position players actually carry bats into the batter's box. The rest just walk up and say, "Ump, I'm gonna pop out to 3rd," and save themselves the wear and tear on their body.
It sucks rooting for a team like this, in a sport like this. You'd like to be relevant or at least a move or two away from relevancy. As it stands, I am rooting for them to be mediocre to put us in position to be better if other things go well. It's like rooting for your family to not be poor, yet being fully aware of how these things work, so you go, "I can get my kids into a better college than I went to as the first person in my family to go to college, and then they hopefully will not fuck up and make good money at that level so that their kids could maybe go to private school and an even better college, and eventually in like four generations, if everything goes perfectly, nobody fucks up or dies or ruins something with cocaine addiction, we'll not be a fucking doomed ass poor family." This is being a baseball fan from about 25 cities in a nutshell.

1 comment:

  1. The long, difficult road to almost being sort of middle class.

    ReplyDelete