Saturday, June 25, 2011

Blue Jays 5, Cardinals 4: Against All Odds, The Blue Jays Won After I Went to Bed

Is he crazy early on a lob ball, or are we a little late joining the action? The medium of photography, ladies and gentlemen.
If the Blue Jays are tied or trailing when I go to bed, that's it, it's a loss. I write that one off completely so as not to be tormented by hope as I try to get to sleep. It's not worth it, and I'm usually right, so I have no plans to change this habit of mind despite Jose Bautista's lordly opposite field ninth-inning home run to win it in St. Louis last night.


The all-wise Allan Ashby observed a couple of days ago that Bautista, who has been a little bit off for a few weeks now, was all of a sudden looking really, really good in batting practice again like he had when he had those two months of being IRL Barry Bonds (if I have not previously talked about the awe with which we all went down early to watch 2003 Bonds, in all his drug-fueled glory, launch BP balls into sections of the Skydome nobody had even sat in in like a decade, that does not mean that it didn't happen). And sure enough, that's two home runs in a couple games for Bautista, who might well be getting hot again. Which would own.


In other Jose Bautista news, he's being moved back to third base. I neglected to mention in my Awful News from The Farm Roundup the other day that along with Drabek pitching horribly and Travis Snider getting beaned in the very bean itself and possibly concussed, Brett Lawrie is hurt, which means that the unbelievably poor performance from Blue Jays third-basemen this season looked set to continue indefinitely. It's obviously way easier to run a reasonably productive outfielder out there than a reasonably productive third baseman, so here we are. You will recall that earlier in the week Bautista made an awesome leaping catch in right to rob a home run, and you will also recall that Jose has been gunning it in in thunderous fashion all season, but no more. Rather than play a rad right field, Bautista will play his quietly competent third. I get the defensive spectrum stuff, fine, but I want to see this guy gunning dudes out from right on the reg. On the reg. But it is not to be. Once a utility guy, always a utility guy, I guess, even if your line is .328/.472/.668 with 23 HR. Even then. 


KS

No comments:

Post a Comment