Friday, January 28, 2011

You'll always be the Second Basemen of my Heart

'DeLino DeShields modelling the hat I am currently wearing, also the disinterested look I am wearing'

There were three things about DeLino DeShields I liked as a young boy.

1: Best name in sports ever

2: He played second base . . . I played second base

3: Faster than all hell.

1 and 2 were pretty obvious things to notice, his name and position came up a lot, but the last thing I knew because. . . . it's the thing I remember commentators talking about the most, Speedy Ol' DeLino gonna steal a million and a half bases with no issue. And as a kid I equated speedy baseball with good baseball, (off topic but I think the reason I never came back to baseball during the 'PED' era was because I just didn't like home runs when there were like 10 a game, they seemed less impressive then.) and apparently Double D was the fastest.

He's also intertwined with Marquise Grissom in my mind because they were 1 and 2 in the batting order and again both just fast as hell. I am not sure why I was so into fast dudes, I will assume that it was because, although I won many 'hardest worker' awards I didn't win many (any) foot races. Perhaps I was merely projecting. Also I like weird names and those two guys had pretty weird names.


And now for the paragraph that will be in basically all of these posts. The Expos couldn't afford him, he peaced out to the Dodgers before the '94 season and it was too hurtful to follow him from there.

Awesome players leaving via free agency, the MO of this section of posts.


Feelings~.

6 comments:

  1. *YOU* liked Delino DeShields because he had a weird name and *YOU* played second base? *I* liked Delino DeShields because he had a weird name and *I* played second base! Second is probably the most fun. I played a lot of catcher as a kid and I pitched quite a bit because I threw hard for my age (until I was like 14 at which point I had NOTHING) but I had zero control and would feel really bad when I'd hit people in like the ankles and they would crumple. Second base, though, man. Second base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, guys, I too played second base. This, this cannot be a coincidence.

    Unfortunately, I didn't like him because he had a weird name. I liked him because he was black. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's valid, imo. I liked him because we have similar last names, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever think of adding a "De" to your last name? Kendall of Shields has such a noble ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazingly, this has never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I unfortunately did not play second base, I was a right fielder/3b/pitcher. Oddly enough, I didn't have much of an arm despite the demands of the positions.

    ReplyDelete