Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A-Holes Episode 1- The Imperfect Storm


In an effort to provide a full spectrum of feelings about my beloved Oakland A's, I feel that it's only fair that I also point out the Athletics that I hated in addition to praising the ones I have loved over the years. In the first installment of A-Holes, allow me to introduce you to the ball of dick that was Storm Davis...

To be fair, I hated Storm Davis even before he was A. My dad and I collected baseball cards, and I distinctly remember opening up a back of 1985 Topps and sneering as the first card featured his malformed mug. He broke in with the Baltimore Orioles, where he was the prototypical 4th or 5th starter. He walked a lot of people, gave up a lot of hits and didn't miss many bats. In 1987 he was traded to the A's and instantly benefited from their potent (steroid fueled) lineup and posted records of 16-7 and 19-7 in '88 and '89. He did this despite not being a good pitcher. His ERA of 3.70 in '88 and 4.36 in '89 weren't impressive in the least, but it's his WHIP of 1.498 and 1.506 in those two seasons that tell a more accurate story. He was an inning eater who pitched behind a steady defense and was regularly staked to 3-4 run leads. In fact, the only time he ever did anything extraordinary was in '88 when he lead the league in wild pitches with 16. During his two year run with A's he managed to pitch all of 2 complete games. His real defining moments with A's came during the '88 World Series when the LA Dodgers absolutely raped him to the tune of 14 hits, 10 runs (all earned) and 3 homers in 8 innings over two terrible starts where he took the loss in both. After '89 season he took his act to Kansas City, who promptly regretted paying him over $1,000,000.00 a year to be not very good at baseball. He bounced around until '94, when he ended his career with Neil's Tigers. Storm even managed to spend part of the '93 season with A's, sucking it up as usual. Apparently, he's now a low level pitching coach in A ball for the Rangers, preparing the next wave of future not-so-good pitchers. The funny thing is, if you heard Storm talk about himself you would've thought he was Nolan Ryan or Jim Palmer. He had a really, REALLY overinflated self opinion. He was also a dick to kids on the regular. In fact, I distinctly remember my friend Phillip's mom (who was a tad tipsy) grabbing him by the shirt and calling him a dick after he walked right past us after a game without so much as a wave or even a "fuck you". All of that aside, I think the thing I hated most about Storm Davis is that, even at age 11, I was able to see through his bullshit and realized that he wasn't good. Back in the pre-Metrics days, all you could really judge a player by was the back of his baseball card. There weren't mountains and mountains of ancillary stats being made available to the public. Storm Davis was the first pitcher who made me realize that wins and losses didn't tell the whole story. Very shitty pitchers used to be able to get lucky or have enough run support to trick people into thinking they aren't shitty pitchers. The Nerd Revolution has put an end to such shenanigans. Semper nerds.

3 comments:

  1. SEMPER NERDS

    also Phillip's Mom sounds amazing

    finally, I know this is the kind of thing it's easy to make too much of, but players who are good with the fans during BP or after a game really are the best. Carlos Delgado was awesome: there was this particular way he would yell for this one particular PR lady to toss him a sharpie that was just like YEEEEEAAAAHHHH CARLOS IS FIXIN TO PUT SOME SMILES ON LITTLE FACES DO IT CARLOS. And you know who was probably the best I've seen? Jeter. He would sign baseballs and whatnot for ages, not in this smiley super pally way where he was out there soaking up the love , but it was like, here are all kinds of people who would like me to do a thing; I will do it for a bunch of them. And this was Jeter *on the road.* Because of this I have always found it hard -- impossible, actually -- to hate on Jeter. I mean, I will lol at "past a diving Jeter" as much as the next guy, but that's where it ends for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storm Davis was so washed up when he got to Detroit that he couldn't even land a spot in the rotation even though the Tigers were the only team in baseball history to go without Professional Baseball Pitchers for a several year period in the early '90s. It's true. You can look that shit up.

    Also, Phillip's Mom didn't call Storm Davis a dick. She actually slurred "Lemme see your dick." I know, because I was THERE. Maybe not in body, but can you ever doubt my spiritual presence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phillip's mom is indeed amazing. She has been my mother's best friend since they were 5 or 6, and her husband is basically my uncle and we go to Raiders games together.

    ReplyDelete