Saturday, April 7, 2012

Blue Jays 7, Indians 4 (F/12): Four-Run Twelfths Are the Best Kind of Twelfths

Brett Lawrie, hothead. 
You look at Brandon Morrow's line -- two runs, neither of them earned, on one hit and only three walks in seven innings pitched -- and there's every reason to think that taken a little off and throwing the two-seamer, as he has vowed to do, is already paying off, and I guess that it is, maybe, but man, it still seemed like he was throwing a lot of pitches out there. Sometimes. A little. Or something. I think maybe I've just got a thing where I can't trust that Brandon Morrow won't ruin my enjoyment, or something, and I've got to get over it, because he was by any reasonable standard cruising when a J. P. Arencibia throwing error set the stage for two unearned runs to come in on a Jason Kipnis homer in the fifth. Blue Jays bats were scared hitless until the seventh, when Brett Lawrie knocked in a pair after a couple of walks and a wild pitch that almost say Adam Lind thrown out at second. It was seriously close!


I was sure that Kelly Johnson's solo shot in the top of the ninth was going to do it (note that Aaron Hill, for whom he was traded, hit two today), but our new closer with whom I have yet to develop any problems served one up for Asdrubal Cabrera, and so it was extras again, which I would feel darkly about had it not ended as it did in the twelfth, that is, with an inning that went: a double for E5, another single for Lawrie that would have scored anyone but E5, a two-run double by Rajai Davis, who had come on for Eric Thames in the ninth, and RBI singles from Colby Rasmus and Johnson. A four-run twelfth! I will overlook the run Francisco Cordero allowed in the final frame, and focus instead on how Casey Janssen was awesome in the two innings of work that preceded. 


Two ways to look at all of this so far, I think. On the one hand, it is rad that that Blue Jays have pulled off two come-from-behind wins in extra innings to open the year! On the other, should it be this hard to beat Cleveland? Either way, bring the brooms Sunday! I'm not sure where!


KS

No comments:

Post a Comment