Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 2: Look, He Was Safe.

Come on.
I have no special love for E5, though I do have a kind of sympathy for his plight, generally (a man who simply cannot throw who is sometimes asked to throw). I have an active dislike of John Farrell's insistence that the Blue Jays run run run at every opportunity and try to take every extra base possible, and thus get picked off, caught stealing, and run into outs at a maddening pace. But let's be real here: when Encarnacion tried to score from second on John McDonald's single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth -- in a game they shouldn't even really have been in, except for Jose Bautista's two-run shot that same inning -- he made it. He was in there. There's just no question. It was a very nice throw by Darnell McDonald. But Veritek missed the tag by about a foot as Encarnacion's right foot touched home. I appreciate how difficult it is to umpire, and I know it all happened pretty quickly, but Brian Knight missed the call. Watch it here and see for yourself. It is horseshit.


In the end it is whatevs, because there's every reason to think the bullpen would have blown it eventually. But Encarnacion was safe. There's no question.


The other reason I am not going to let that blown call take the spring out of my step is that the Blue Jays have finally heeded my persistent calls to cut Juan Rivera! I have, like, an extra good summery feeling because of that. 


KS

No comments:

Post a Comment