Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rangers 12, Blue Jays 2: DFA for Jo-Jo


It has finally come to this for poor, sweet, Jo-Jo Reyes, a lefty for whom we have all prayed. What remains to be said? He has been tried; he has been found wanting; he has been designated for assignment. Had he been born right-handed we would have never known his name. I had no expectation he was going to stay with the team after the early-season series in Anaheim, where Alan Ashby referred to Jo-Jo's struggle to "have a career out there." That is when I saw not just the Jo-Jo on the mound, but the Jo-Jo in all of us. I was overcome not with pity, but with fellow feeling. I say again now, as I did then, Jo-Jo Reyes, c'est moi. I feel that even more deeply now than I did those months ago. 


This is it for Jo-Jo. May god have mercy on us all.


KS

2 comments:

  1. Noooooooooooooooooooo

    Strange and terrible times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could have been you, Neil. It could have been me.

    ReplyDelete