Friday, May 6, 2011

Blue Jays 7, Tigers 4: What's up Neil. What. Is up.

Home plate umpire Dale Scott actually just stood there like that for about  a minute, just to be a dickhole (note that he actually did not, and likely is not).
There were early signs that this game had the potential to own. In the top of the first, Juan Rivera, who hit .333 on the last road trip but whom I nevertheless despise, gunned the ball home to J. P. Arencibia, whose diving tag cut down Brennan Boesch to end the inning. Nice.


This trend towards ownership continued in the home half of the first, as the Blue Jays put together a nickel-and-dime inning of banana base hits, humpback line drives and seeing-eye ground balls to put three on the board and baffle onlookers with archaic metaphors. That was all that Jesse Litsch, who is fatter than I remembered, would need, as he allowed only one run on four hits in six and a third innings. Sure, the Tigers would score a handful of unearned and genuinely annoying runs after an Escobar flub (I call them like I see them, mister, and that's a flub) in a near-bat-around ninth, but in the end it was all Fine and the Gang, as every man in this still tragically Bautistaless lineup had at least a hit, putting seven runs on the board, all told. Adam Lind, in particular, continues to just kill it: 2-5 with a home run tonight, bringing his season numbers to .317/.350/.528/.878 with 7 HR and 25 RBI (could those "R's" batted "I" arguably be a byproduct of hitting behind Jose Bautista, whose OBP is I believe 12121.8 thus far? This is something I would posit based on my advanced statistical knowledge of advanced statistics). Is Adam Lind drawing enough walks? Of course he is not. But he is not just whiffing at everything anymore either, nor rolling it to gently to first, nor yet popping it up ineffectually. And so I salute him. 


May I note in closing that it is all well and good for Corey Patterson to go 3-5 -- it is marvelous, in fact! -- but if he is going to get both caught stealing and picked off, he might as well just not bother? Because that is something I feel pretty strongly about.


KS

4 comments:

  1. I made the decision to watch the Red Wings stave off elimination and only checked in on this game in between periods. It would appear that I made the right call.

    Also, Kendall, I . . . I . . . *breaks down in tears* You . . . you big bully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. today verlander will strike out fifteen and I will be singing a different tune no doubt

    ReplyDelete
  3. He'll also give up a grand slam in the 3rd inning and end up losing 4-2 after only giving up 3 total hits.

    ReplyDelete