Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Everybody is going to need at least one of these.



My wife, in her infinite wisdom and kindness, correctly perceived that the thing I needed most was not even a thing I knew existed: a Kauro Betto baseball shirt, which I received yesterday for my birthday. Betto, an early Japanese power hitter, is represented here during his earliest years with the Osaka Hanshin Tigers, rather than, you know, with the Hainichi Orions where he became the first ever Pacific League MVP and led the team to the inaugural Japan Series title. (And yes, I am totally going to front like I knew any of this before yesterday.) He was known as "The Gentleman of Baseball," which is outstanding. I am told that the Japanese characters here roughly translate to "Strongly Influential," but I have not checked this with dudes I know who can read Japanese, so it is entirely possible that I have been tricked.


If you are an enthusiast of cinema or of getting high you might recognize this as The Dude's baseball shirt:



Some people on the internet are like "it's not an exact replica of The Dude's shirt because it doesn't have 3/4-length sleeves" but I am firmly of the opinion that you can push them up a little.


KS

7 comments:

  1. Kendall, from everything I have heard, you have what is known in the common tongue as a "good wife".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take the truest thing you know, raise it to the power of the second truest thing you know, add like an infinity of true things to the product of that, and then you are getting close to how true that statement is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it surprise you to know that I have owned that shirt for the past three to four years, Kendall? If only I had known it was a thing you would have wanted, I would have told you where to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogger ate a bunch of comments but iirc Neil was like "you have a good wife" and I was like "seriously you have no idea" and Dukes was like "KS I have had a shirt like that for years!" and I was like "The Dukes abides" and that was pretty much it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own this shirt; I plan to be buried in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is probably the only way to do it justice

    ReplyDelete