Wednesday, February 2, 2011

YOUR SECOND INSTALLMENT OF 90'S PHILLIE OF THE WEEK


JEFF JUDEN.


Jeff Juden is responsible for perhaps my favorite moment of the shitty 90's Phillies era: August 25, 1995. Only with Baseball-Reference do I remember the date, the opponent, or the final score of the game. 6'7", 245 lb Jeff Juden hit a GRAND SLAM in a CG blowout that night against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

More impressive than the grand slam was Gregg Jefferies' cycle that night, but the sight of that massive motherfucker BLASTING the ball (this is how I remember it as I was 8 years old at the time) and trotting around the bases while I sat there stunned on my basement couch sticks out to me. At the time I remember thinking that he'd be the next big thing, but he was traded for a shitty utility player in the off season and my little heart was broken.

Well, turns out the dude wasn't that special of a pitcher and got shipped out of Montreal later in his career for getting into an argument with Pedro Martinez on a flight. It was about Juden breaking a CD player that was playing "Celebrate" by Kool and the Gang. The dude owned.

~Eamonn

1 comment:

  1. This is the first I've heard of him but there is a strong case here to suggest that Jeff Juden might be the best.

    ReplyDelete