Saturday, February 5, 2011

You know who my problem was never with? Chris Woodward.

Easily the best Chris Woodward action shot available on the web.  Easily..
I've watched a lot of shitty baseball in my day, and Chris Woodward was the starting shortstop for a good part of it.  But you know what, I never had a problem with Chris Woodward.  He wasn't, like, astounding in the field, but he was slick enough that you never worried.  Never really hit for much average or showed any real power except for the night he hit three home runs against Seattle.  Strangely, I wasn't there that night.  It was only the third game I'd missed in 2002, and I was sorry I missed it, not just because of Woodward's homers but the four others that night, and Jose Cruz Jr. throwing out two base-runners, including Ichiro at the plate (imagine that!).  But my records indicate that my softball team won by twenty-seven runs that night, so I probably made the right call. My records also indicate that I write a lot of things down and never throw anything away.  


In his post-Blue Jay era, Woodward has bounced around, among Baseball Feelings teams and others: the Mets, Braves, Yankees, Phillies, Brewers, Mariners, Red Sox, and the Mariners again.  He's spent good chunks of time in the high minors, too: add up his last five years, and you've got just about one full season worth of big league appearances.  But he was a 54th round draft pick in 1994 and was still working his way into major league lineups in 2010.  So good for him.  Long may he run.  My problem was never with Chris Woodward.  


KS

1 comment: