Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fergie Jenkins Stamps: Totally Going on All of My Letters

Above: a thing that is awesome. Above that: Ferguson Jenkins, also awesome.
I am pretty strictly a one-stamp-at-a-time kind of guy, because who needs to tie up six whole dollars in a little packet of stamps to take home from the post office? That's six dollars that could be used in other financial wheelings/dealings. "No thanks," I can be heard to say to the nice girl who works at the post office, or even to the older lady who always seems rushed, "Just the one stamp, please."  But I bought a whole pack of these because, as you can see, they are awesome.  Ferguson Jenkins is, and will remain for some time, the only Canadian inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame (yours, not ours, of which he is also a member, but which, quite rightly, nobody really knows anything about).  He is also tied with Robertson Davies as the raddest guy to come out of the Chatham-Kent region. Unlike Davies, Jenkins did not work in the mode of magic realism, but, unlike Jenkins, Davies was not also a member of the Harlem Globetrotters. It really is a tie.  


Also, today I bought MLB Gameday Audio for the year: $20 gets you radio (the most decorous of baseball media in my view), both home and away, for every regular season game, every post-season game, and a whack of spring training, which I am enjoying right now.  It's still pretty snowy outside but there are crocuses and even tulips starting to peak out here and there in my front yard right up against the house which is maybe more a sign of how my house seriously needs to be re-insulated than it is a sign of spring but whatever, man, Jerry Howarth just meandered from the Caspar Wells home run to the fact that when Jerry's son Brent took piano lessons in the fourth grade the first sheet music he wanted was the theme from Ghostbusters.  "Who ya gonna call?" Jerry asked.  "Who?  Casper Wells."  Just, what?  Why?  I don't know but I love it. Like, I get it, but why?


Left: Jerry Howarth, who is the best. Right: Alan Ashby, also the best.
And after the game they're going to talk to Chris Woodward, who you might recall as a player with whom my problem never was.  Oh shit, update: "And there she goes! A three-run blast for Brett Lawrie! The Blue Jays have tied the Detroit Tigers here in the bottom of the eighth inning!"  


YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH BASEBALL ON THE RADIO YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment