Tuesday, April 16, 2024

2024 Game Sixteen: Blue Jays 5, Rockies 0

 

no you, José Berrios; no you

Imagine not throwing seven scoreless on just two hits and two walks, striking out seven: couldn't be José Berrios; it literally could not be him. Has he been the best starter in all of baseball so far this season? I suppose I could check FanGraphs real quick: ok no. However! He has been really very good! I will take a 3-0 record with a 1.05 ERA, regardless of peripherals (his are also good). On the subject of super deep statistical dives, though, I should mention that I super deeply compared Isaiah Kiner-Falefa's season thus far to Matt Chapman's (in that I looked up both guys fWAR real quick), and found that IKF has been nearly twice as productive as Chapman so far. I wish Matt Chapman well, of course, and have no problem with the San Francisco Giants (they are quite simply not my concern), but that does seem like a comparison worth making, and subsequently noting. Also of note: Justin Turner is getting on base at the rate of late-career Barry Bonds, for some reason, which even Turner's most ardent supporter would probably have to admit is at least a little surprising, and, perhaps most importantly of all, the Blue Jays are now back at .500 for the first time in a little while (I understand that the season is only two-and-a-half weeks old), which feels great! The 12-4 Yankees are in next, and maybe due to regress? To the mean? A little? I "mean" it when I say that I really hope they do.

KS  

No comments:

Post a Comment