Friday, April 19, 2024

2024 Game Nineteen: Yankees 6, Blue Jays 4

 

in some ways this Yankees outfield could be a problem for us

I think the thing I mind the most about Aaron Judge is that I don't even mind Aaron Judge, not even a little. He's a great player, in some interesting ways, and he seems pretty nice! What am I supposed to do with that? His two-out, full-count, bases-loaded two-run single in the bottom of the ninth was, if I am not mistaken, his first hit of the series (perhaps he was due), and a total drag. This was the Blue Jays' first true bullpen meltdown of the season, with the enigmatic Genesis Cabrera yielding an eighth-inning solo home run to Juan Soto (you can't be mad about that one, really), Erik Swanson getting cooked for three runs in just a third of an inning, and Tim Mayza giving up the big hit that sealed the deal. Why leave the lefty Mayza in to face Aaron Judge, of all people, you might well ask? Well, Yimi had pitched two days in a row, Romano was just a day removed from his first inning of the season, and Chad Green, the obvious candidate here, was unavailable with a sore shoulder. So in the end, it came down to either Mayza, the lefty, or the right-handed Bowden Francis, what with Nate Pearson having been sent down a few days ago (purely an "options" thing; he has pitched well), and I can't say I especially disagree John Schneider's call to give Mayza a crack at it, given the options. It's remarkable, though, how sour this ninth inning made the whole series feel, even though we won it! And the series before! A four-and-two homestand against the Mariners and Yankees is really good! And yet here I am, feeling like "ah, phooey" about the whole thing, which I recognize as wholly inappropriate.  

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment