Thursday, June 23, 2022

2022 Game Sixty-Eight: White Sox 7, Blue Jays 6

 

safe on this one (don't ask about the next one)

Much has been made, and quite rightly I suppose, of home-plate umpire Doug Eddings' historically egregious night calling balls and strikes (Pete Walker got tossed in the tenth, and honestly I kind of can't believe it took that long), but my main experience of this one was feeling like it was a real drag that Romano blew the save in his first appearance since the tremendous five-out performance against the Yankees on Sunday afternoon. Everything that happened after that was honestly just kind of whatever. My view on extra-inning baseball games remains unchanged: I will not stick with them passed a normal bedtime, because if the Blue Jays lose, I will just feel foolish for having stayed up; if I go to bed and they win, I will not feel bad about having found about it the next morning; I will simply be glad that they have won. I did manage to catch the top of the tenth, when Vladdy knocked Bo in on what I believe was the first pitch of the at-bat, which led the loudest heckler I have ever heard to yell "YOU HAD A BASE OPEN, TONY" (the "fire Tony" and "let's go Blue Jays" chants of the earlier innings were nearly as delightful). Looking at the play-by-play data, the only really neat thing I missed was a 6-1-3, Bo to Kirk to Vladdy double play to end one of the extra innings (probably the eleventh?), but I stand by my decision.

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment