Sunday, June 13, 2021

2021 Game Sixty-One: Red Sox 6, Blue Jays 5

 

Forget your bullpen woes; reflect instead
upon how Vladdy and Bo are bros 

By the time it happened, I wasn't even upset: after enjoying the sweet fruits of Vladito's three-for-four with a homer (also a walk) earlier in the evening, I stepped away from the game to enjoy a Star Trek: The Next Generation on Netflix (rated PG: sex, fear) as one so often does. That mission concluded, I checked the MLB Gameday app (I think that's what it's called?) and saw that it was now 5-5 headed into the bottom of the ninth, so I was like oh okay they've lost the game then. So when I got the stream going, and was greeted by the image of Rafael Dolis -- for whom I am rooting for but also come on -- there wasn't even any tension. This is not to say that I saw it unfolding at all the way it did: grounder to short, bad throw by Bo Bichette to pull Lourdes Gurriel Jr. off the bag at first (didn't even know he ever played there! pinch runner for Tellez, I guess?), though he applied the tag, though the ball got whacked out of his glove on that tag, and then a double ripped off the wall to win it . . . all of that was in fact quite novel! But through it all, I was at peace. Ross Stripling pitched better than you'd think with four runs in five-and-two-thirds; the bullpen "remains an issue."

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment