Saturday, June 19, 2021

2021 Game Sixty-Eight: Orioles 7, Blue Jays 1

 

When did all the baseball players get so cool looking?
I feel like it is maybe from about 2017 onwards.

I guess maybe the Orioles were due? The only AL East team to win last night were the Orioles, who had theretofore lost eight straight. For their grim part, the Blue Jays have now lost five in a row, though it honestly does feel like a little more, I think because of how the two losses in Boston were of a kind that made you overlook the two wins in Boston, a little? But although the bullpen did indeed collapse in this one -- or at least the Murphy/Beasley portion of the bullpen (Thornton was fine!) -- you can't really pin this one on them: just the one run on four hits against poor Orioles pitching feels like more of the story. Like, the bullpen could have given up fifty. Who cares. (I do not mean that nihilistically but instead in a mode of cheerful practicality.) My experience of this game was pleasant enough, honestly, as I had parts of it on in the early evening, and enjoyed the sight of Camden Yards and the sounds of Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez quite a lot; I tuned out for a bit after Lourdes Gurriel Jr. hit his home run (hey good job) and addressed myself to other pursuits before checking back in just in time to see the final out. Charlie Montoya is said to have held a meeting with a small group of players (a cadre of fanatics?) after the game to see how the team is feeling, and word is they were like, "well this isn't good but I guess we'll stick with baseball." Me too!

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment