Sunday, June 27, 2021

2021 Game Seventy-Five: Blue Jays 12, Orioles 4

 

Put it "on the board"

The Blue Jays had three four-run innings, whereas the Orioles had only one such inning, and in that inequality, I believe, one finds the difference in yesterday's outcome. Were I asked to rank which of the Blue Jays' three four-run innings I favoured, I would first of all answer that I liked them all very much indeed, but that first one, in which Marcus Semien and Bo Bichette hit back-to-back doubles, followed by Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Teoscar Hernandez and their back-to-back homeruns, was totally the best one. Vladdy's twenty-sixth home run of the season is his third in as many games, and makes fifty through the first 258 games of his career, which is exactly where his father stood after 258 games, which is a little freaky! It is rendered somewhat less freaky by the footnote that Sr. got to fifty homeruns in 248 games, but then didn't hit one for a while, and so after 258 games both father and son can truthfully be said to have hit fifty, but it's not exactly as freaky as it might first appear (which is "quite"). I am pretty sure both Cecil and Prince Fielder had the exact same number of MLB home runs, too, which would be so easy for me to check right now and yet here I am not doing it. Okay no I couldn't bear it, and checked: 319 HR for each! That's wild! 

Hey so also: Hyun-Jin Ryu absolutely cruised through six but then got dinged for four in the seventh, but not really, in a sense, in that they let him stick around longer than they would have otherwise because it was such a lopsided game, you know? Like, under normal circumstances he wouldn't have been put in a position to have been wacked around like that. So I am unperturbed. Barnes and Payamps looked good in relief! Six back in the division, five in the wild card. 

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment