Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why AM Radio is the Superior Form of Baseball Following

So work is crazy - like three 14 hour days to start the week, then wind down to the regular 8, and wait until you die, because "that's the nature of the job" as it is explained. So I don't do shit other than work, and when I am in that mode, I tend to slip into sports radio during the commute, because it gives me the false impression of other human beings being in my life. During the regular year, your local team is all that you find on AM radio in the day time (Orioles and Nationals where I live), and at night, AM goes into that chaos zone where you don't get local radio but all of a sudden some powermonger signal from Denver comes in better than anything else. During the playoffs, this is fun because then there is pretty much important baseball on, instead of randomly getting like a meaningless Reds/Pirates game like a month ago.
Well, yesterday night, the wife was wore out as I called her on the way home, so I ordered pizza from the little joint in our little town called Slice of Heaven, who sometimes makes awesome pizza and sometimes makes not-so-awesome pizza, but when the dude who works there answered the phone, I knew it was good because he is the awesome pizza maker at that 4-person establishment. Ordered up a pepperoni (out of pepperoni, so had to go sausage) and a white pizza with tomatoes and basil (out of basil, so we went with just tomatoes). "20 minutes" which was my ride to my hometown from stupid work, so I scan through the AM and get a feed of the Phillies/Cardinals game which I assume was the Phillies team because the color dude was referred to as "Sarge" which I have to guess was Gary Matthews (who I also guess now must be referred to as Gary Matthews Sr.).
Game sounded cool, AM radio baseball is such a soothing meditative background effect to life, and really, I can imagine nothing better than some sort of super cybertronic AM radio magic machine that is more radio than smart phone and I can sit in my back yard in my old age in the summer time, drinking vegetable juice out of a mason jar, listening to baseball games from around the universe. (I assume we will have space baseball by then, with epic long balls due to gravitational factors. Also epic curveballs though.)
I get back in the truck with the pizzas after picking them up, and the radio is calling the game, and basically it's like this: Oswalt throws a strike, but a squirrel ran across home plate, but Angel Hernandez didn't call it a strike and it's 2-1, how is that a ball, Oswalt is wondering what is up with that call, the squirrel is running up the stairs, Charlie Manuel is coming out...
So basically, that instance, which happened live on the radio broadcast is discussed by a baritone voiced play-by-play guy and Sarge for the next ten minutes (it seemed like) before Roy Oswalt finally got around to throwing his next pitch. I'm sure being this is the interwebs there is some sort of audio clip of the whole affair, but I also am sure being this is the interwebs you've already seen an animated gif of the squirrel. I just want you to know that seeing that thing pales in comparison to hearing it through the snap and crackle of AM radio, where your mind fleshes out the words with your own internal visions based on your personal frame of reference. Thank you AM radio, for still existing, and being transpermutated into my raggedy Nissan truck last night.

6 comments:

  1. to expand on that only slightly, I had the same experience the night before when the squirrel was in the infield, and the golden voiced Phillies radio announcer was telling me about every nuance of its movements as it made its way into and out of our lives while I did the dishes

    was it less magical because I was listening to AM radio on the computer? almost certainly, and yet I have no complaints

    ReplyDelete
  2. also I like that we were both here on the internet at apparently the exact same time typing about how we heard about a squirrel on the radio and felt that others needed to know this

    ReplyDelete
  3. our cybertronic world cannot stop natural synchronicity. the question is, though, does it falsely manufacture it? I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate Sarge, but God bless Larry Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what I'm going to do without Kruik, Kuip, Dave and Jon to listen to on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Sarge in Toronto for a little while and it was absolutely brutal

    ReplyDelete