Monday, August 29, 2022

2022 Game One-Hundred-Twenty-Six: Angels 8, Blue Jays 3

 

I love that they are friends

I was having a pretty tough day, and so welcomed the presence of three-hours of Blue Jays baseball in the middle of it as a blessing regardless of the outcome; just the fact of it, and Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez telling me about it, was a significant comfort. And so I can't honestly say that I was all that bummed at the 8-3 loss and the series sweep, even though both are plainly a problem. The Rays and Mariners both won yesterday, so the Blue Jays trail the first by a game and a half, the second by a game; Baltimore's loss means there's still a game and a half between the Blue Jays and the O's. That's not great, certainly, but the somewhat lowly Cubs in next gives us a chance to straighten things out, maybe? It's weird to come back from a six-and-one road trip through Yankee Stadium and Fenway to get swept at home by the Angels, I grant you, it's just weird, but I just feel like it's all still ahead of us, with lots of games left against probably the only team that has a real shot at catching us (Baltimore), and if you can't half of those or so, then I guess you don't get to be a playoff team, right? It all seems fair and fine to me. Perhaps the return of Bradley Zimmer -- reclaimed from the Phillies off of waivers this afternoon -- will provide "the spark" (I am being light-hearted but also welcome him).  

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment