Monday, July 18, 2022

2022 Game Ninety-One: Blue Jays 8, Royals 1

 

tell 'em, Devo

This was much more along the lines of what one might hope for: against the super-depleted Kansas City Royals, Alek Manoah totally cruised whilst Teoscar Hernandez and Matt Chapman each hit three-run home runs. Okay; good; okay. My favourite moment in this game that consisted pretty much entirely of pleasant ones came in the bottom of the third, when twenty-three-year-old Vladimir Guerrero Jr. singled off thirty-eight-year-old Zack Greinke, and then chatted about it for a sec with fifty-nine-year-old Devon White, who has been coaching at first base in Mark Budzinski's absence. I liked it because it brought together the three fairly distinct eras of my most intense baseball enjoyment: the World Champion Blue Jays of the early nineties, for whom Devo was a fielder of unusual elegance (and jumping); the 2002-2006 period of my almost fanatical SkyDome attendance, when Zack Greinke was a promising young starter who would worry me; and obviously Vladdy, who is of now. I just thought it was neat!

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment