Thursday, July 7, 2022

2022 Game Eighty-Two: Athletics 5, Blue Jays 3

 

oh no

I went to bed with the Blue Jays down a pair, but with two on and nobody out in the sixth, Vladdy due up next. How, you might well wonder, could anyone go to bed in that circumstance? Well, there was a pitching change, and it was already a million o'clock, and I decided (extra innings style, actually) that if it turned out that Vladdy, say, hit a rocket into left-centre and I missed it, I would be happier that it happened than I would be sad that I missed it, and if he did not, say, hit a rocket into left-centre, but I stayed up for it, I would feel a fool. It is also possible that I was already worn down not just by the unreasonably late hour, but by the intolerable sadness of Yusei Kikuchi, who walked, I believe, four of the first eight batters he faced, and whose night ended in the third, having allowed four runs on just two hits but five walks and two hit batters. He had no idea where it was going, except right into our sad feelings. It's hard to believe they are going to be able to keep on running him out there every five days. It would be simpler if he was battling some low-key injuries ("left arm tightness" can indeed mean a lot of things), but he is by all accounts totally well. Despite his previous start, in which we were all so happy for him, Yusei Kikuchi does not look like a major league pitcher right now, and it is probably time to find out if young Maximo Castillo or even journeyman Casey Lawrence can give you better innings until Yusei Kikuchi can be helped.   

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment