Thursday, May 13, 2021

2021 Game Thirty-Five: Toronto 4, Atlanta 1

 

It truly was a Ryu day

I liked Marcus Semien driving Cavan Biggio in with a double to tie it in the sixth; I liked Teoscar Hernandez's home run in the seventh to pull ahead; and I especially like Téo's two-run shot in the ninth (Bo Bichette aboard!) to seal the deal. But what I not-just-liked but full-on-loved was watching Hyun-Jin Ryu out there pitching, just out there pitching, as the craftiest lefty of the age, and by a lot. Did you know that since 2018, only likely-Hall-of-Famer Jacob De Grom has a better ERA in all of baseball? I didn't! Although you knew that Ryu is hard to run against, did you know that he has allowed only seven stolen bases in his career (that's like one a year!), and that there have only been something like thirteen attempts against him? I didn't! But Dan and Buck were full of all kinds of interesting stuff last night, and they were obviously having a heck of a time watching Ryu pitch. It's just such a pleasure. Last night, he soft-tossed his way through seven innings of five-hit, one-run baseball, and it was just perfectly lovely to see.

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment