Thursday, May 6, 2021

2021 Game Twenty-Nine: Blue Jays 9, Athletics 4

 

I think he looks good; what's the issue

These 10:40PM starts have me going to bed in the fifth inning like I'm eleven years old, so I am still up when Randall Grichuk feels a little sheepish about having taken a huge turn towards second but scampering back to first on a long single, and so gets himself thrown out trying to steal second a pitch or two later (hey: I get it), but fast asleep by the time the Blue Jays score two in the ninth after a five-run eighth (one of the best kinds of eighths available to our practice). I saw video of the big rally, and the part I liked best was the squeeze play where Cavan Biggio's good-but-not-great bunt had the pitcher thinking he could possibly get Téo at the plate (he could not!) and so the good-but-not-great bunt became the best possible bunt, really. I don't think I knew that you would still score it a sacrifice in that situation, but I guess I see why: it would be a fielder's choice otherwise, right? And that wouldn't actually seem fair. Oh, just as good: the two-run double Vladdy ripped in the ninth was, as Dan Shulman suggested, pretty much the archetypal "frozen rope," and made me think of Dave Winfield a little, and that's always really pleasant (an MLBPA video I saw last year suggests Dave Winfield has aged as gracefully as one might expect). A Robbie Ray start always leads to an increase in pants-chatter, which I thinks is entirely overwrought at this point: his pants are tight; he looks good out there; that's it. Are Téo's pants any looser, really? I would argue no! And yet where is the chatter? Where. Also regarding Robbie Ray: he struck out nine in six innings, and hasn't walked anybody is three starts, which I did not see coming, but welcome. No less welcome is today's late-afternoon, getaway-day start, meaning several of todays innings should coincide with one's early-evening chorings. 

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment