Thursday, September 22, 2022

2022 Game One-Hundred-Forty-Nine: Phillies 4, Blue Jays 3 (F/10)

 

and yet . . .

After Kevin Gausman's six scoreless innings, and Tim Mayza's dicey-but-scoreless seventh (he got Harper! Bryce Harper!), it looked like Vladimir Guerrero's thirtieth home run of the season (a towering three-run shot that had the Phillies' broadcast all quiet like "oh no") was going to be enough. And yet it was slightly not, as Yimi struggled, Romano couldn't strand a runner that needed stranding, and Cimber couldn't keep the Phillies off the board in the tenth. As soon as the Phillies tied it, I felt like I should just turn the game off and go do something else, as it felt like a foregone conclusion, but I persisted. Sort of to my peril? My feelings-peril? But it was another night where the Blue Jays got some help on the out-of-town scoreboard, and we now head into four games in the cursèd Trop (things rank and gross in nature possess it merely) in really good shape, all things considered: two up on Tampa, two-and-a-half over Seattle, and, crucially, six-and-a-half over the Orioles with now just thirteen to play. I almost wish the Rays and Mariners were winning of late, and the Blue Jays could just settle into the third Wild Card spot. It would be so carefree! But instead I am thinking things like, "okay, a split at the Trop ought to be enough to keep the Rays at bay (so to speak) headed into the final homestand, and even if we drop a pair to either the Red Sox or the Yankees . . . ", things like that, things that I don't really want to think about as much as you might think (I would [like {to think about them}]). José Berríos tonight, though! His ERA is down below five (4.99) for the first time in months! Let's go!

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment