Sunday, May 15, 2022

2022 Game Thirty-One: Yankees 6, Blue Jays 5

 

not pictured: the already-ejected Pete Walker

Objectively, this was one of the best baseball games I have seen so far this season, but subjectively, man I wish Jordan Romano had not thrown all those sliders. If you're going to lose to the Yankees on a three-run, walk-off Aaron Judge home run after having pulled ahead in super dynamic fashion in the eighth (go Vladdy; go Vladdy), you'd like to see that happen against your best pitch, I think, rather than on a slider up (which slid insufficiently). But what can you do! The wildness of the sixth inning was truly wild indeed, and is covered expertly in Jomboy's "Umpires eject the Blue Jays for nothing, a breakdown", and I honestly have nothing to add to it other than to say that while I acknowledge that it is enormously plausible that Yimi Garcia might very well choose to bury one in Josh Donaldson's ribs, and indeed it is possible that on some spiritual or emotional level he is doing so even as we speak (perhaps it is a perpetual state), I honestly do not think that he was trying to hit him in a tie game in the sixth inning, even if Giancarlo Stanton had just hit a(n absurd Yankee Stadium) three-run home run right before. I just don't see, and neither did Josh Donaldson, as he revealed in his comments after the game. But the umpires sure did! And that was that. The real shame here, I think, is to have blown a game made winnable by the best start we've seen from the totally likeable Yusei Kikuchi, who I totally like.

KS   

No comments:

Post a Comment