Wednesday, May 25, 2022

2022 Game Forty-One: Reds 3, Blue Jays 2

 

touch 'em all, Joe(y Votto)


"I thought I'd be more nervous," former Etobicoke Ranger Joey Votto said about this weekend's games, almost certainly the last few he'll ever play in Toronto. “But I didn't feel that way. I just felt more joy." It was meet and right that Votto homered toweringly in his final at bat of the weekend to give the Reds a 3-2 win and avoid the series sweep. And yet all the same, I would have been totally fine with it if the Blue Jays had scored a pair in the bottom of the eighth or ninth to erase that moment not utterly (in that it would still have meant what it had meant in the moment itself) but functionally (in that the Blue Jays would win [my strong preference]). Ah well. 

Another profoundly "Yusei Kikuchi" start from Yusei Kikuchi, in that, for all that he ended up allowing only two runs, the first inning looked so perfectly dire that they had to get Ross Stripling (like in that selfsame first inning!). Even within that first inning, Kikuchi looked both impossible to hit and also just plain impossible. I love this guy. I think there is a case to be made that Yusei Kikuchi is the most fascinating fifth-starter in Blue Jays history. I kind of can't wait to see where he leads us. 

KS  

No comments:

Post a Comment