Monday, May 30, 2022

2022 Game Forty-Six: Blue Jays 6, Angels 5

 

each release a pregnant moment of anticipation

This game started so late here: an 11:08PM first pitch! There was no way for me to stay up for all of this one, try as I might (I did not try even a little). It's pretty neat, isn't it, that both Yusei Kikuchi and Shohei Ohtani attended 花巻東高等学校, Hanamaki Higashi High School? Kikuchi was three-years older, so I don't know that they were pals or anything, though they do both seem really nice, so I can't rule it out. Ohtani was held hitless in this one, and Kikuchi finished off a really good May (sort of? it's so weird with him! and we love it!) with two runs allowed (though on nine hits) in five innings of work, and then like a million relievers came in, including Julian Merryweather, against my better judgement, if not Charlie Montoyo's (Charlie is the best, though; don't get it "twisted"). Merryweather promptly hit (grazed, really) Ohtani with a pitch and then gave up a homer to Mike Trout immediately thereafter. But it all worked out great, even if Romano looked super tired and fell apart in the ninth, and they needed to get Ross Stripling up and in to get the last out, don't worry! Half off the Blue Jays ten hits were doubles, and so runs were not in short supply. Four straight wins! No worse than three-out-of-four from the Angels! José Berríos on the mound looking for the sweep! Oh finally, I have found what I think will be the cover of Two On, Two Out: The Yusei Kickuchi story, a monograph I will never write despite its necessity (something of a livre sans livre, if you will). You will find that image below.

KS


 


No comments:

Post a Comment