Wednesday, April 28, 2021

2021 Game Twenty-Two: Blue Jays 9, Nationals 5

 

I'm not even sure which one this was.

I thought the story of the game was going to be that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit the third grand slam of his young (indeed yung) career off of no less of a guy than Max Scherzer -- who has allowed but three such slams (grand ones) throughout his totally-Hall-of-Fameable career -- to bring the Blue Jays back from the three solo home runs allowed early by Thornton and Milone (bullpen day!). I was also ready to remark on Cavan Biggio maybe getting it going a little bit, with a nice bunt single against the shift, and a couple hard hit balls (and a little luck!) en route to a really nice 3-3 day with a sac fly, too. Alexander Kirk had some catlike moments behind the plate I was going to bring up. And I was for sure going to note that Nationals shortstop and leadoff-hitter Trea Turner hit two home runs, the fist of which came on an 0-2 pitch (just an egregious hanger, Thornton was like goll-ee I would like that one back). But instead Vladdy ended up hitting three last night, and drove in seven runs, and that has sort of become the totality of what happened. To my great surprise, it turns out Vladimir Guerrero père never hit three in a game -- would you have believed that? I may not have! As I have mentioned more than once, I was lucky enough to have been at the SkyDome September 25, 2003, when Carlos Delgado hit four, and while this was not that, it does not feel like much less than that, either, in all honesty. Kaitlyn McGrath was not alone, I don't think, in expressing on Twitter last night how much she wished this could have happened in Toronto, with fans tossing there hats onto the field, but so it goes. In closing, here's a picture that was making the rounds again last night, and delights anew each time it does. What a game! 

KS


UPDATE: Ben Wagner notes that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Sr. both have two home runs off Max Scherzer! That's wild! 

père et fils

No comments:

Post a Comment