Friday, April 9, 2021

2021 Game Seven: Angels 7, Blue Jays 5 (F/11)

 

Having recently tatered out the stadier

You know what, I think that's about as much as I'll ever enjoy a 7-5, extra-innings loss. What a lot of fun! A first-inning homer and a two-out, sixth-inning RBI single for Vladito; a home run in that same sixth inning from Cavan Biggio; and oh yeah a great leaping catch by Vladdy at first on a rocket from Shohei Ohtani -- I loved that stuff! And on the other side of things, Ross Stripling, of all people, had Ohtani way off balance, and struck him out twice, only for Mike Trout to hit Stripling's next pitch after that second strikeout a mile, like a mile. That was all super fun too! And I remain surprisingly fond of the runner-on-second-in-extras rule, even when it does not work out for the Blue Jays, which last night it extremely did not. Really, it shouldn't have gotten that far, but for pinch-runner Jonathan Davis getting picked off in the bottom of the ninth (is this the second time he's been picked off already this year?). I wasn't upset about it; I just felt bad for Jonathan Davis (imagine being him). My stream went a little funny just as Rafael Dolis gave up the go-ahead runs in the top of the eleventh and the effect of this, I think, is that those runs are not especially real to me, which is just as well.

Worse than the loss (and how bad is a loss, really? it's baseball) is the news that Shohei Ohtani is having a tough time with a blister on his pitching hand and so will skip his scheduled start this weekend. He will have to content himself with merely raking. Let us spare a thought for him about that.

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment