Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Mets Fan Community Loses One of its Own

I think enough time has gone by where I can discuss the following.  

Two weeks ago, the Mets fan community was shocked to lose one of its own.  As a feeling of dread burrowed its way into our stomachs, it became clear that an old school Met fan was going to lose his life.  

That fan was Lane Pryce.  




One of my favorite understated features of Mad Men was the old school Mets pennant that Lane hung in his office.  I always wondered if he'd gotten it on a trip to the ballpark in one of his first visits to New York, or hung it up there to win favor with a potential client.  Nevertheless, there it sat, season after season, and we never found out if Lane followed the team (through losing season after losing season) or if it was just up there inadvertently, as so many of us leave calendars up well into May of the following year because screw it.


I like to think that Lane decided his baseball allegiance over something no simple as "No proper Brit would ever root for the Yankees" or something.  Regardless of why he picked them, a sad truth hit me a couple of days after I watched the episode.  


This season of Mad Men straddled 1967-1968 which meant that, when he died, Lane was a year removed from seeing one of the most improbable World Series victories in history (and oh yeah, some guy walking on the moon).  While it's unlikely that something like that would have wiped his troubles away (or at least his grim final decision) it would have been nice for him to see it before he went.  

I'm fully aware that this could become, like, a thing among Mets fans, so here is my submission.  I expect a LOT of Oliver Perez ones, guys.  



No comments:

Post a Comment