![]() |
| Vladdy, doubling in the seventh |
Well, the rumours are true: Nathan Lukes was thrown out at second base to end the Blue Jays' 5-3 loss to the Royals trying to stretch his two-out, two-run single into a two-out, two-run double (making it, I suppose, a three-out two-run single in the end [not really]), leaving Vladdy, who had doubled to the oppo-gap in his previous at-bat, standing in the on-deck circle as the would-be tying run. Of course the chances are slim indeed that Vladdy would have tied it up, given the way things have gone, but the chances of everybody getting super excited and cheering him on heartily were all but guaranteed, and I'd have liked to have seen it! You should have heard the way this Tuesday-night crowd of 43 245 (to see the Royals, I remind you) had welcomed first Alejandro Kirk and subsequently George Springer as they entered the game as pinch-hitters against a left reliever earlier, or the way the crowd roared when it became clear that Ernie Clement would stay in the game after having extremely fouled one off his groin (Ernie's gonna need a minute here, fans). It really must be said (perhaps I say it too often? and yet here we are again) that the actual fans showing up to the games in enormous numbers (as opposed to the online gripers [I may be online, but I am no griper {except about online gripers}]) have remained steadfast in their support of this team that is scoring runs at a fewer-than-four-a-game clip (that is such a shabby clip! it would be easy to be demoralized about it!). I salute them once more. They are to be saluted, too, for surpassing the one-million Loonie Dog mark, as reported for CP24 by Phil Tsekouras (click through for the photo, I would say).
A mixed bag, this one, then. It's a shame that we are now three back of the Guardians, rather than the two we'd been previously, and it is my hope that this evening's fixtures will ameliorate that situation at least a little (as a treat).
KS

No comments:
Post a Comment