Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Blue Jays 10, Rays 5: Don't Be Fooled: The Trop Remains Infinitely Perilous

 

this is Alejandro Kirk doubling; please do not confuse it with 
Alejandro Kirk homering (which he also did) or legging out
an infield single (he did that too)

The Blue Jays have been the best team in the AL over the last ten days, which has plainly ruled, but last night's game against the Rays was their first true romp in a good long while: Alejandro Kirk's three-for-four with an infield hit, a double, and a two-run homerun on a fastball out of the zone up (Kirk's swing is so flat that he is unbothered by such "concerns") sure led the way, but Springer's three hits, Ernie's three more, and a pair each from newcomers Josh Smith and Brett Bateman sure didn't hurt, either. And let us not forget (which I did! just now! for a sec!) 岡本 和 Okamoto Kazuma's much-anticipated twenty-fifth home run of the year, granting him sole title to the Blue Jays rookie home run record (thank you for your service, 2002 AL ROTY Eric Hinske). José Soriano continues to impress since coming over from the Angels, this time allowing three runs in his five-and-two-thirds (that's practically six, guys; come on) on a good deal of soft contact but wriggling out of trouble ably enough (not one but two 3-6-1 double plays [that's one of the best kinds!] felt like a gift to me personally, and I was grateful for each/both]). The only real hiccups on the night came in knuckleballer Matt Waldron's two innings, in which he allowed a further two runs to make a laugher a little tighter than it may otherwise have been, after which he was, regrettably, DFA'd. The older I get (very!), the more soft-hearted I become (and I started out pretty soft!), particularly towards people younger than me (which is, increasingly, everybody). For example, I can't imagine ever feeling like "good riddance!" about a player (regardless of performance) again, just on account of the fundamental contingency of all things, mostly. This was not always how I felt, and I regret that I used to feel otherwise. But so it goes.

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment