Sunday, July 23, 2023

2023 Game Ninety-Eight: Mariners 3, Blue Jays 2

 

how it started . . .

. . . and how, alas, it is going

Good for Téo, is I guess the best I can say about this one? When I went to bed midway through the seventh (the game started just after eleven here—just after eleven), I would not say that the game seemed well in hand, but it did seem, well, in hand. But not so much! Much has been made of bringing in Kirk to pinch hit in a spot where a double play would have been a killer (as indeed it ended up being!) but I don't think you can approach a pinch hitting situation in any other spirit than "who do I think is likeliest to get a hit?" (as I have no doubt mentioned previously, managerial second-guessing is just not my favourite anyway). That Téo, whose last game as a Blue Jay saw him hit two home runs in what I was so sure we were going to end up thinking of forever as The Téo Game, ended up walking this one off with a ringing double over George Springer's head and off the wall in right, is an objectively neat thing to have happened, not unlike Marcus Semien walking off the A's at the SkyDome in what I suppose must have been late 2021, as the thoughtful Tony Kemp stood out there in left field for a little while to take it all in, and just be with it all for a moment or too extra. Blessings of the universe, I suppose. 

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment