Monday, June 5, 2023

2023 Game Sixty: Blue Jays 6, Mets 4

 

the inimitable physical charisma of Starling Marte, ladies and gentlemen

I have long thought the Mets are neat, and I am always pleased on those rare occasions upon which the Blue Jays actually get to play them, especially in New York, because I like the look of the ballpark quite a bit (this was less true of Shea). I suppose I was not surprised to learn that Sunday's win made for the first time the Blue Jays have ever swept the Mets in New York, given how infrequently they actually play them there, but although I was not surprised, I was certainly delighted! The most delightful occurrence Sunday, I think, was when Chapman's second-base-dangling drew an errant throw from the catcher, which dribbled into short centre field in such a way that Chapman saw an opportunity not just to take third (anyone would), but in fact to boldly strive for home. You'd have to be a lot faster than most people would think for that to work out, wouldn't you Matt Chapman! Good thing that you are that, then, Matt Chapman! Yusei Kikuchi (and later Nate Pearson) tested the limits of my longstanding "we don't worry about solo home runs" policy, as all four Mets runs came on those exact things, but it all worked out fine once Brandon Belt, who turned outstanding the moment he stopped being awful (what a brutal first month!), hit a two-run home run to straightaway centre field at, if not the absolute best times, really one of the better times you are likely to see.

And just like that, with three straight series wins over good teams (Twins, Brewers, Mets), the Blue Jays are good again? Or at least okay? Four games at home against Houston feel pretty big right now, and I think I would be content with a split. It's Alek Manoah on the hill for game one, and maybe this is the one where he really starts turning it around? Couldn't hurt to try, I don't think. I can't see how it would.

KS  

No comments:

Post a Comment