Friday, April 29, 2022

2022 Game Twenty: Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 0

 

Big. Puma.

With Vladimir Guerrero Jr. resting a day after fouling one just right off his foot, the Blue Jays lineup had a bit of a spring training vibe to it. But no matter: Alejandro Kirk singled Lourdes Gurriel Jr. home in the third, and that, tidily enough, was all that was needed. Alek Manoah pitched exceedingly well even by his standards, with just three hits and a lone walk in his seven scoreless innings (that's how many strikeouts he had, too: seven scoreless ones). A comparison I often draw to (I can only assume) the ongoing delight of those around me is between Alek Manoah and Juan Guzman, and I was very pleased to see the Blue Jays broadcast graphically confirm that I have been really very insightful indeed to have noted this (and so often):


I took a picture of my computer with my phone

The Blue Jays have won each of Manoah's last twelve starts, and he has himself been credited with the win in eight straight (say what you will about "pitcher wins," and I will say those things right alongside you for sure), which puts him in second place in each of those categories as far as team history goes (Jimmy Key for the first one, Roger Clemens for the second), behind only 2003 Roy Halladay, all of whose home games I attended, and yeah I can confirm he was super good that year. Let's keep it rolling with Yusei Kikuchi on the mound Friday night! Right guys! Right . . . guys? 

In closing I would add only that these Thursday afternoon getaway-day games accord so wonderfully with the rhythms of the preschool day that they should consider doing these not just on Thursdays but instead on all weekdays, thus freeing our evenings completely, and sending young fans to bed secure in their knowledge of the day's events. Although I suppose this might cut into Blue Jays in Thirty enthusiasm, so I guess it is complicated.

KS


No comments:

Post a Comment