Friday, August 6, 2021

2021 Game One-Hundred-Five: Toronto 8, Blue Jays 6

 

He is shooting his shot

There aren't too many games where your bullpen gives up six runs (your closer two of them!) and you still win, but it definitely helps for the bats to put up eight runs in the first three innings and your starter to strike out eight over six scoreless. Steven Matz was so good! I know there has been talk about which of the Blue Jays starters (of which there is now surfeit) should go the pen, whether it should be Ross Stripling or Steven Matz, and it's actually "a toughie," in that Steven Matz has for sure had the better season, but post-arm-re-angling, Pete-Walker-to-the-rescue Ross Stripling has been a very different pitcher than the one whose ERA exceeded seven (which rendered him suddenly very coachable [to his credit]). I'm fine either way, I guess, but I am pretty sure I would keep Matz in the rotation and send Stripling to the pen were this my Baseball Mogul game (I understand, on some level, that it is not). Trevor Richards was good, we really like Adam Cimber (tremendous sidearm delivery, lovely glove-hue), and I guess if Saucedo and even Romano are going to have rough innings, this was the night to do it, right? George Springer, who has of course missed a lot of time this season, and so will not put up big "counting stats," currently has the Vladdy-esque OPS of 1.021 after his four-for-five with another lead-off homer, and our new friend Corey Dickerson is a welcome left-handed bat from the fourth outfielder. Also from the new friend files: I sure had no idea who (utility infielder? is that what he is?) Breyvic Valera was at all but I welcome him based on that cool name alone. Look, I just feel great about things right now. We're rolling! We are rolling. 

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment