Friday, May 8, 2015

The Blue Jays Week that Was: It Sure Was

A dinger dung
So the Blue Jays took two out of three at home against the Yankees as part of a 4-3 week that I did not attend to but in passingest of ways but that I respect. The Blue Jays remain a game under .500, which is right where one would expect them to be as they close in on thirty games played this season, because they are plainly not good, but nor are they particularly bad; they are, like so many of us in our working day, just getting through it. I hope that they have rewarding personal lives and projects and hobbies to sustain them, although I worry that their line of work to a certain extent precludes at least some of that.

Although I have skipped over the particulars of the week that was, I do not wish to skip over The R. A. Dickey Honorary Old English Word-Hoard (brought to you in part by the J. R. Clark Hall Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, always), but instead point you to the particulars of līc, which survives into contemporary English as "lich" with the same sense of a body, a corpse, but which, in Old English, appears in all kinds of sikk compounds, like līcbeorg ("coffin, sarcophagus"), līcburg ("cemetary"), līchamian ("to clothe with flesh"), līchamian ("body, carnal, physical, material"), līchryre ("bodily decay, death"), līcsang ("dirge"), līcrest ("sepulchre, tomb"), līcstow ("place of burial"), līcðrōwere ("leper"), which is really good, and also līcpytt ("grave"), which is kind of my favourite I think. 

KS



No comments:

Post a Comment