Friday, February 17, 2012


Assholes. 

EDIT - Now that I have a little more time than I did when I put the above together, (my wife and I lost the internet in the hotel room where we've been sequestered for the past two+ weeks for a 48-hour period which doesn't SEEM like that long a time until you figure out that we're basically living on the actual set of Coal Miner's Daughter where a "big night out" is driving our Kia across the four-lane "highway" that separates our hotel from the Walmart to get another plastic bag full of canned chili and premade salads) I can flesh out my thoughts about Gary Carter.  

Sadly, I can't write about a personal moment that I shared with him, as Bill so eloquently did, since I was only three years old when the top photo was taken, but every time I walked into Shea, (and now into Citi) the image, on an enormous banner, served as a reminder of happier times for this dumb, stupid franchise.  

Yeah, I'm angry, but it's only because most of the emotion that I felt from Carter's passing WAS anger at the way that management has, as usual, handled things in such a reactionary, tone deaf, completely clueless fashion.  

News about Carter's brain cancer broke during May of last season, and when it did, there was a large amount of debate as to whether or not the Mets should retire Carter's number immediately, so that he would have a chance to enjoy the experience.  Some people who disagreed argued that it could be seen as morbid, an insulting knee jerk reaction to the illness.  Personally, I thought it was more insulting that his number wasn't retired the second he went into the Hall of Fame, but what the hell do I know.  

Anyway, now the Mets are scrambling to find a way to honor Carter, and if his number IS retired, boy how dumb are they going to look, but we're used to that by now, aren't we.  This is a team that took OVER A YEAR to decide "Hey, we have this nice snazzy new park here, and a nifty TWO STORY ROOM in it dedicated to a team that now plays 3000 miles away, maybe we ought to paint the walls in the team colors and put some crap with our logo on it around." 

However, they still haven't gotten the hint that despite the fact that their team colors sport one of the most garish oranges in history - just the sort of color you might want to clothe people you wish to stand out in a crowd in - that maybe they shouldn't dress ushers, security personnel and other important team officials IN THE PRIMARY COLOR OF THEIR HATED RIVAL.  
"Durrrrr Ruben Tejada?  Is that that new Taco Bell Sandwich?"

I promise that at some point I will begin writing about the on-the-field exploits of the New York Mets, but I feel that with a more varied audience than typical pieces about the Mets garner, that I need to point out the fact that, yes, these rich idiots are so stupid and cherish your owners everyone and SEND HELP WE ARE BEING HELD CAPTIVE BY TERRIBLE PEOPLE.  

2 comments:

  1. You mean, the Mets did something wrong? I couldn't imagine such a thing.

    Totally with you on that one. 100%.

    ReplyDelete