Saturday, September 19, 2026

Rangers 7, Blue Jays 1: Unideal!

 

that's about the size of it, Dylan Cease; that's just about the size of it

In what was I suppose the worst start of his Cy-Young-votes-for-sure season, Dylan Cease was charged with but one earned run, though two more came in on an Ernie Clement error (our concerns about all aspects of Ernie Clement's game only deepen), and he walked six guys (six!) whilst throwing seventy-four pitches (relatively few of them strikes) in just two-and-two-thirds innings. As a worst start of a whole season, you'd generally take it, right? The timing, though, made this one a drag, in that the Rangers, about whom I have never worried even once this season, have now snuck past us by a game. It is worth noting that a White Sox loss leaves us the same two games out of WC3 that we were when the day began, but two games out with eight games to play is really a good deal worse than two games out with nine games to play (the 14.5% playoff projection at FanGraphs reflects this). Not a lot to enjoy in this one, in all honesty, aside from young lefty Brendan Cellucci continuing to impress, and a major-league début for the enormous José Rodriguez, whose windup is reminiscent of nothing so much as the NES Bases Loaded series (to me): 


This is a six-foot-six man all scrunched and coiled as though he were participating in an 8-bit representation of Japanese baseball; and I am, of course, here for it. I am here, too, for José Soriano's start tonight (I will set aside for a moment my strong preference for Saturday afternoon baseball, rather than the evening), which seems crucial to anything we might hope to accomplish in what remains of this strange season; it very much figures as a load-bearing start, which I'm sure must be at least as much fun for Soriano himself as it is for the rest of us.  

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment